10/10: Agnès Godard
We asked cinematographer Agnès Godard, best-known for her collaborations with Claire Denis (films such as Beau Travail, 35 Shots of Rum, Let the Sunshine In), to share her ten favorite films from the last ten years. She met us halfway, selecting five recent releases and five that “go through time intact.”
1. Certain Women (Kelly Reichardt, 2016)
2. Burning (Lee Chang-dong, 2018)
3. Zama (Lucrecia Martel, 2017)
4. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
5. An Angel at My Table (Jane Campion, 1990)
6. Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)
7. Twin Peaks: The Return (David Lynch, 2017)
8. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005)
9. Klute (Alan J. Pakula, 1971)
10. Memories of Murder (Bong Joon-ho, 2003)
Claire Denis’ Towards Mathilde, shot by Agnès Godard, comes to VOD and DVD later this year.
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films from the last ten years (currently, between 2008 and 2018).