Top 10: Jean-Marie Straub
Together with his late wife and partner, Danièle Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub created a singular and indelible body of work — films such as Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach, Moses and Aaron, Sicilia!, Machorka-Muff, and These Encounters of Theirs, among many others. These are some of his favorite films.
– in no particular order –
1. Monsieur Verdoux (Charlie Chaplin, 1947)
2. Monsieur Verdoux (Charlie Chaplin, 1947)
3. Monsieur Verdoux (Charlie Chaplin, 1947)
4. Lady Windermere’s Fan (Ernst Lubitsch, 1925)
5. Gertrud (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1964)
6. Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (Robert Bresson, 1945)
7. A Man Escaped (Robert Bresson, 1956)
8. Diary of a Country Priest (Robert Bresson, 1951)
9. City Lights (Charlie Chaplin, 1931)
10. Night at the Crossroads (Jean Renoir, 1932)
11. all the Fords
A new 2K restoration of Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet’s landmark Moses and Aaron is now available on Blu-ray & DVD.
Watch films by Straub-Huillet.
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films
from the last ten years (currently, between 2006 and 2016).