The director of Columbus shares his ten favorite films from the last ten years, along with five filmmakers that dominated this era.
– in alphabetical order –
1. 35 Shots of Rum (Claire Denis, 2008)
2. Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
3. The Arbor (Clio Barnard, 2010)
4. Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo (Jessica Oreck, 2009)
5. Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, 2013)
6. Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, 2014)
7. Flight of the Red Balloon (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 2007)
8. I Wish (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2011)
9. Nostalgia For the Light (Patricio Guzmán, 2010)
10. The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013)
Addendum: 5/5 – Directors that ruled this era. Twenty-two films were made by these five filmmakers in the past ten years and all are worthy of attention.
Olivier Assayas (Summer Hours, Carlos, Something in the Air, Clouds of Sils Maria, Personal Shopper)
Terence Davies (Of Time and the City, The Deep Blue Sea, Sunset Song, Quiet Passion)
Mia Hansen-Løve (Father of My Children, Goodbye First Love, Eden, Things to Come)
Wes Anderson (The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Richard Linklater (Me and Orson Welles, Bernie, Before Midnight, Boyhood, Everybody Wants Some!!)
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films from the last ten years (currently, between 2007 and 2017).