10/10: Zhao Liang
The director of Petition, the 2009 Cannes documentary banned by the Chinese government, and new the documentary Behemoth, shares his ten favorite films
from the last ten years.
– in order –
10. Silent Light (Carlos Reygadas, 2007, Mexico)
9. Songs from the Second Floor (Roy Andersson, 2000, Sweden)
8. The Sting of Death (Kōhei Oguri, 1990, Japan)
7. Siberiade (Andrei Konchalovsky, 1979, Russia)
6. Stroszek (Werner Herzog, 1977, Germany)
5. Satantango (Béla Tarr, 1994, Hungary)
4. Down By Law (Jim Jarmusch, 1986, USA)
3. Underground (Emir Kusturica, 1995, Serbia)
2. Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow (Theo Angelopoulos, 2004, Greece)
1. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975, Russia)
Zhao Liang’s Behemoth is now available to watch.
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films from the last ten years (currently, between 2006 and 2016).