10/10: Andrew Bujalski
In advance of his new work, Support the Girls, Andrew Bujalski (Results, Computer Chess, Funny Ha Ha) shares ten favorites from the last ten years.
“Hello, fellow compulsive list-makers! I feel rather inadequate in your company now. I’ve never been a completist, always a catch-as-catch-can moviegoer, and as I’ve spent most of the last ten years as a parent of young children, that’s tilted way more toward catch-can’t… So in truth I could probably write a much more credible list of the last decade’s movies that I missed but heard were brilliant. As for the ones I was lucky enough to see, here are 10 that leap to mind, determined quite unscientifically, in alphabetical order.”
1. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
2. Certain Women (Kelly Reichardt, 2016)
3. Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, 2014)
4. Creed (Ryan Coogler, 2015)
5. Good Time (Josh and Benny Safdie, 2017)
6. Inside Out (Pete Docter, 2015)
7. The Kid with a Bike (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, 2011)
8. Manchester By the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
9. No Home Movie (Chantal Akerman, 2015)
10. The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
Andrew Bujalski’s Support the Girls opens on August 24.
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films from the last ten years (currently, between 2008 and 2018).